We’re currently raising funds to buy the old Natwest bank building on Portswood Road.
We want to secure the long term future of the shop by establishing a permanent base, where we won’t be paying rent to a distant landlord. We also want to expand the things we can do as a community hub, by providing a larger and more accessible space for events and meetings.
How are you raising funds?
We’re raising funds primarily through issuing of loanstock. We’re also taking donations. Some of the rest of the money is being raised through a co-operative community loan. When the building is bought, the plan is to sell the upper floor to the charity the Society of St. James.
How much do you need?
We need to raise £360K in loanstock and donations by the end of June.
Where have you got to?
We are over 80% towards our goal in loanstock and donations. We now have enough to buy the bank, but not enough for refurbishment. We will continue to issue loanstock until the remaining 20% is reached. This can take place while proceeding with the sale.
How can I help?
You can buy loanstock. We are taking donations. And, of course, you can buy books, cards and food from us!
Loanstock is an investment in the shop. You invest a sum of your choosing for a period of 1, 5 or 10 years, and then when the loanstock matures, you receive the money back with optional 1.5% interest. For more information and the forms, click here.