20 hours/ week at £8.75/hour. 3 month probation period.
Deadline for Applications: 6pm 29th April 2018
October Books, Southampton’s only independent, radical, cooperative bookshop, is seeking a motivated, self-starter to help us run the bookshop!
It’s an exciting time for October Books as we are about to start a new chapter, moving from our current premises and buying the old Natwest Bank on Portswood Road with the plan to turn it into not only a bookshop but a community hub. With all this going on we need another team member to assist us in co-running the shop.
Working at October Books isn’t your usual job. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about what we are doing and wants to be part of it. You will be working as part of a team, sharing the responsibility for running the shop. If you pass the three month probationary period you will be expected to join the collective as a worker member and join the committee responsible for the business as a whole.
We strongly recommend that job applicants contact us to arrange to do a five hour volunteer shift prior to the 5 May. This will give you a chance to get to get to know the shop from a workers perspective and give us a chance to get to know you.
We are seeking someone who:
- Has an interest and knowledge of books
- Supports our radical ethos and purpose
- Can think creatively and deal with sudden unexpected issues as they arise.
- Has experience in customer service and managing others
- Happy to get involved in long term planning and organising
- Is a good all-rounder, comfortable both behind the scenes and dealing with the public
- Works well in a team but can also take the initiative and manage themselves
- Has skills and knowledge to complement existing workers
- Is computer literate and is comfortable using a variety of different digital platforms, including social media, apps and organisational tools as well as the shops stock system.
Responsibilities are shared between workers according to their skills, however a new worker should expect their responsibilities to include:
- Cover in the shop, dealing with customers, operating a till, receiving stock, placing customer orders and keeping the shop space clean and tidy
- Stock ordering (books, cards, fair trade food and cleaning products)
- Managing and guiding volunteers in shop tasks
- Liaising with local community groups, schools, authors, organisations and venues. Coordinating stalls, hosting events.
- Getting involved in business planning with a view to keeping the business sustainable.
- Keeping abreast of the latest publishing news, awards and developments to ensure the shop stock stays relevant and interesting.
- Attending weekly worker meetings and once they pass the 3 month probation period occasional collective meetings and organising members meetings.
- Shifts will include every other Saturday and role requires someone to have a level of flexibility over their hours.
- A car driver and access to your own vehicle would be an advantage
- Experience in financial planning or business planning would be an advantage
Please click the link to download the application pack.
Completed applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Job Application’ in the title.
Alternatively you can return your form to October Books, 243 Portswood Road, SO17 2FN